Sodding in Moorhead
Why is sod such a sought after service? Fresh sod dramatically increases the curb appeal of any private or commercial residence. The brilliant, thriving grass makes your outdoor space more inviting for you and your guests. Plus, if you are having any erosion problems, a strong layer of sod might be just the trick you need to maintain the excellence of your landscaping. Want to know more about sod projects with Haugens Landscaping Inc?
The Preliminary Step for Sodding Projects
There are three main obstacles that can put a major wrench in any sod or re-sod project:
- • Irrigation systems
- • Pipes
- • Utility lines
The presence of these systems doesn’t present a problem if they are buried at least 18 inches deep. To make your project runs smoothly, our team will do a preliminary check of your yard. Should we find anything of note, we’ll let you know and work with you to find a solution. We complete this step whether you need entirely new sod or are replacing old sod.
What Is Our Sodding and Re-Sodding Procedure?
If you are new to sod, it helps to understand the general process and the labor involved. After years of service, we have refined our process to the following steps:
- • Remove Existing Lawn: It’s important to start fresh with sod, so we’ll remove any existing sod and lawn components.
- • Tilling: We need to loosen between 4 and 6 inches of earth to lay quality sod.
- • Clean Debris: During the first two steps, we typically uncover rocks, clods and weeds. At this point, we’ll go back and collect debris and clean the area.
- • Soil Additives: If your soil needs a boost, we may add compost or a curated soil mix that’ll get the most from your sod.
- • Leveling: We’ll smooth the sod area with a rake to make sure it is level enough.
- • Fertilizer: To give you sod the best chance possible, we lay a topical layer of fertilizer before installation.
- • Installing the Sod: We’ll put the sod pieces in place and look over our work to avoid gaps.
Popular Sod Types
The best type of sod for you will depend on where you are located and what kind of climate you live in. Even within Moorhead, some homes may be better suited to warm or cool climate grass due to their lawn’s sub exposure. Some popular sod types include:
- • Kentucky Bluegrass is ideal for anyone living in a cool environment. The grass is pretty touch when it comes to a harsh winter freeze.
- • Fine Fescue is popular for homeowners living in moderately cool areas. It has a high drought tolerance and relatively low maintenance.
- • Bermuda Grass does well in warm climates as the name suggests. It’s no stranger to drought and doesn’t need much maintenance.
- • St. Augustine is best for areas with high degrees of sun exposure. While it’s resistant to droughts, it actually has moderate to high water consumption in an ideal environment.
Want to Get Started on Your Project?
Give us a call or fill out our quick contact form to get in touch with our professional staff. We’ll be happy to answer your questions and set you up with a consultation.